Monday, July 9, 2012

Painting White Koi

I decided to work on sketching white koi.  I was afraid that the other colors would cause the fish to look off, but I like how they turned out. I used Arches 140 pound cold press watercolor paper and Daniel and Smith watercolor paints.  I used Mineral Violet for shading the fish in the blue water and Perylene Green for the fish in the greenish-yellow water. The first fish on the left I made ripples by painting French Ultramarine Blue mixed with Neutral Tint over the fish and water that had previously had a wash of the same color lightly pulled over the fish.  The center fish I made ring like ripples by using the same mix as above, but making the sharper edge ringlets.  On the final fish I used a mix of Perylene Green and Hanasa Yellow to try and show reflections.  The last fish had some problems of the orange spots wanting to lift off with the final wash.  I have learned so much on using watercolors with taking the Stratford free workshop class and Laura's Imaginary Realm class.

No comments:

Post a Comment