Sunday, December 4, 2011

Abstract Art

How does one express an emotion, the wind, or energy in drawing.  Modern art has tried to use methods, colors, shapes, and other techniques to go outside the box.  They wanted to move away from traditional ways and techniques.  Some modern art is hard to understand.  Some elicit very strong emotions.  I have found that I like some but there is much in this group of work that I don't  like or understand.  The drawing picture here is of a plaster sculpture called Between Lily and an Elephant Tusk. 
While in the museum drawing it I didn't see the sexual nature of the statue until I saw my drawing later.  In this drawing I wanted to do all my shading in cross hatching to improve in my use of that shading technique.  It was difficult for this large of a drawing.  I am trying to work on less is more in my drawings by not drawing everything.  This next week hope to draw several quick sketches with minimal line work.

No comments:

Post a Comment