Sunday, December 18, 2011

Bitting off More than you can Chew!

The last time I went to the DIA to sketch I looked around and the statue I wanted to draw was already being worked on my a talented young artist. I hope to draw as well as she did. (The gallery selected was of revolution...both French and American.)  As I looked around to find something else to draw I noticed a display of funny heads, but I didn't feel like drawing them.  Some of the other statues had too much reflection from the lights on their cases for me to see clearly.   I noticed a plaster casting of men with an angel and although very detailed decided to try and draw it. I found out later that evening that the casting is from The Arc de Triomphe in Paris.  I got too caught up in the details at first and then started to get the heads of the figures positioned in the lower part of the drawing.  Of course this was too much for me to draw at my current level given the time of 3 hours.  If I go back and they are in this gallery I think I will take my sketch back to give work on it again.  I should next time pick an easier subject.  I think this drawing could take me at least 5 to 6 more visits to finish.  Although I got a good start on the heads and their location, but clearly I bit off more that I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment