Monday, September 10, 2012

Garden

Our garden went wild this year.  We added two 4x4 raised beds so we could grow more of our own food.  Without telling me my husband bought a zucchini  and an eggplant.
I had never grown tomatillos before and didn't realize how tall and prolific they are.  I was planning on two, but when they sprouted they didn't look healthy so I planned them without thinning to just two plants.  A week later they were over a foot tall so I ended up with 4 of them.  They are now over 6 feet tall.
The watermelon is sneaking a peek of sunshine on the right and the zucchini is growing around the tomatillos. Our tomato plants reached the overhang of our home and grew back to the ground. The wax beans and eggplant did very well.  Our cucumbers were growing very well and over the top of the deck railing, onto the step etc., but just before I decided to paint the garden they started to die.  I hope to put in one more raised garden plot next year so everything isn't growing on top of each other.. I did the right side outside while sketching and painted the left a few days later inside.  I stopped painting because of rain.  I feel the right side turned out much better.
This is drawn in my new moleskin watercolor sketchbook 5x8 with a ballpoint pen and watercolor paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment