Saturday, November 12, 2011

Back to the Drawing Board

I use to draw and even took an art class when I was at Western.  When I made the move to study architecture I lost some of my drawing skills.  Drafting is so rigid and structured.  I now wish I had gone for a liberal arts degree in art instead. Don't know if I would have made a living from it but I would have learned so much...

I recently got back into drawing with encouragement from my sister-in-law Jane, (Thanks Jane!) In January she recommended a book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.  I have enjoyed going threw the lessons.  One of my favorites was drawing an orange. 

While doing the lessons in the workbook I started looking for classes and other opportunities in my area and discovered the free drawing in the gallery class offered by the DIA (Detroit Institute of Art).  It is held every Friday night and Sunday afternoon in various galleries.  I got to go again last night with my friend and her daughter in the Islamic gallery.  I have met two other artist there, who have been very encouraging.  I am still struggling with finding and using a unit from my subject to use in my drawing.  I am getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment