Sunday, November 13, 2011

Drawing in the Gallery with Friends

Drawing in the Islamic gallery was hard Friday night.  The lighting was concentrated on the art pieces so the rest of the area was pretty dark making it hard to see what you are drawing.  It didn't help that I was trying my new contacts out and they were bothering my eyes. 
The Islamic gallery doesn't have  statues or paintings of people.  I guess in the Muslim faith they don't believe in having paintings or statues of people.  The exhibit had pottery, mosaics, bottles, tiles, jewelry, swords, remands of rugs and tapestries.  I drew a bottle and an ewer.  An ewer is a pitcher.  I had to look up the term as the ewer looked like it might be a tea pot.  The ewer's metal work was so intercate that I didn't draw the patern because of time constraints. 

 My friend and co-worker Sharon and her daughter McKinsey join me.  They had the same excitement and fun that I have experienced and want to go again.  Which I hope to join them again.  Sharon was afraid to draw a mosaic she loved.  I hope like me she will next time give it a try. It was also nice to see a few artist from the last time.  One of them was reproducing the silver scroll work on one of the scabbard on the swords.  It was beautiful.

I am still working on doing a small sketch or drawing each day.  I want to work on my basic drawing skills.  I am going to keep my small sketch pad and pencil with me so I can use whatever opportunity comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment